Sunday, November 22, 2009

Compare and Contrast

(I'm so sorry I had this done a while ago I just forgot to upload it)
Alexandria Chung
November 16th, 09

Compare and Contrast Video Clip 1 & 2

Both video clips have been taken from the introductory chapters of Great Expectations, when Pip meets the convict and brings him the file and the food. The general story is similar in both videos, however the details and the way it is presented is almost opposite to one another.

In the first video clip, the first scene starts off with Pip being attacked by the convict, and agreeing to bring him food and a file. His rough relationship with his sister, and admirable relationship with Joe is briefly shown, and then he sneaks out the food and file for the convict the next morning. The language used is exactly like that of the dialogue in the novel. Although the general storyline is similar to the novel, there is no music to set the mood, and the actors are amateurs therefore we do not get to see their personalities as clearly as we’d like. Also, the actors do not fit the appearance of the characters described in the book. The setting for this clip is in a modern setting, from the modern looking house to the sunny forest that does not fit the description of a dangerous and gloomy gallow.

In the second video clip, the first scene also starts off with Pip being attacked by the convict, and the storyline is alike to that of the first clip. However it shows further into the story, showing the scene at the dinner table with Mr Pumblechook. This video uses the same language as the novel as well. However, this second clip differs from the first because there is background music to set the mood, and the actors are professionals that possess an appearance that fits their character. The setting is also more appropriate for the story because it is set in the past in a non-modern home, and in a gloomy gallow.

The story being presented is the same in the first video, however I feel that the second video depicts the story better because of the more appropriate setting, characters, and mood. (342 words)

How Did the Clips Influence My Reading?
The first film version did not affect my reading or interpretation of the text, because it was unrealistic and did not fit my original ideas at all. However the second film was very similar to what I had imagined in my head while reading the novel, therefore I feel that my visual interpretations of the setting, characters and the mood will be more specifically expressed in my head because I have an exact image from the video clip that I can apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment